Saturday, April 2, 2016

I hear you calling, Marianne....

Back in April LoS reported (Putain, con! Quelles loloches!) on a titillating affair in Neuville-en-Ferrain, where a busty bust of Marianne was removed due to the local citizenry's apparent unease over her generous bosom.  It was replaced with another version modeled on French actress Laetitia Casta. 

Brief aside....this reminds me of SNL's "E. Buzz Miller's Art Classics" sketch:

"Now, the first one here is called Venus of Urbizo, or; I'm sorry, that's Urbino, and it was painted in 1538 by a guy in Venice. And this is for real his name is spelled t-i-t-i-a-n. Titian! Honest to god!" 

Sophomoric wit aside, the Casta version was considered an ironic replacement because she is known for her ample curves.

I came across a photo-montage (of pic a and pic b) the other day which I suspect originated on this Portuguese blog, about how Casta served as a model for the new Marianne.  I think it illustrates the irony of replacing a too-busty Marianne with hers quite nicely.

At the risk of offending my female readers, I must say, damn.....just....damn....






For your edification, I include this photo of other versions from France Diplomatie along with another of the Casta version.


        


        Vive la France!







Originally published 8/20/11

No comments:

Post a Comment